This week’s prompt from Inktober52 was “cube”. As I intend to continue to use these prompts to strengthen my Adobe Fresco skills, I attempted to make the word “cube” into a cube using the in-app ruler. While this helped considerably, it bothers me that it is not precise. So I pulled up Adobe Illustrator on my computer and recreated the idea using the 3D extrude effect. Let’s just say that it took considerably less time in Illustrator than in Fresco. This is a good example of using the right tool for the project.
This week’s prompt from Inktober52 was “octopus”. With those fascinating flexible tentacles, this was perfect for word art. It is unfortunate that the word has only seven letters, but easy to have the eighth appendage reaching forward to give more movement. (And I always count the legs in octopus art, doesn’t everyone?)
I have to admit to being a bit stumped on the prompt “star”, so I defaulted to vector graphics in logo style. I am still building my skills in Adobe Fresco, but these aren’t outside my wheelhouse this week.
I started with a representational graphic of a sun, but thought it was a little blasé, so duplicated it, erased half, and recolored the new half with the fill tool. That worked well, so I did it again, but this time in thirds. It is interesting, but makes my eyes dance a bit. So I tried something else.
For the second iteration, I imagined a company in need of a logo. On this, I like how the star is part of the word (especially crossing the t), but that the star and S combo could also stand alone. It is important when designing logos that elements can be removed and used separately (think of the “smile” on an Amazon box!) I also took a slightly different take on the “shadow” of the text by stretching it up as well as offsetting it. Just to experiment.
This week’s prompt was “shield” from Inktober52. This was drawn in Adobe Fresco with an Apple Pencil using vector brushes. I made use of opacity in the brushes, so I could put the eyes on any skin color. This is a similar technique to what I use when painting eyes on rocks with acrylics, and make the rock the “skin”. I drew one eye without the highlights, then mirrored it for the second eye before adding the white dots.
I was excited about the prompt “dragonfly”, because I love dragonflies. I may love them a little too much because the possibilities were immense and I was feeling overwhelmed. After a couple of sketches and a bit of time away on another craft, and I settled on this design. I drew a single dragonfly with the color on a separate layer, then duplicated it and changed the color just on one layer of each dragonfly. The word is done semi-opaque behind. Happy news, text layers can be converted to vector or pixel layers in Adobe Fresco, which means stretching a font is easy. Since I drew the dragonfly with a vector brush (basic round this time), I can reuse this asset in other projects! Hurray!